Wednesday, July 29, 2026

macportseda: open-source EDA tools on macOS that I use for SKY130.

I put together a MacPorts port tree for the open-source EDA tools I use, and I've been running it on macOS 13, 15, and 26 on arm64. It's called macportseda and it's up on GitHub: https://github.com/bpdegnan/macportseda

My work is mostly analog and mixed-signal, and the tools I need either aren't in stock MacPorts or the versions that are there don't fit together into a working flow. I wanted an open ADC design flow that runs on a Mac without Docker or a Linux VM, so I packaged the pieces myself.

What's in it right now: OpenSTA, KLayout, Magic, netgen (LVS), xschem, ngspice, OpenVAF, Yosys, OpenROAD, KiCad, the Xyce/Trilinos/Charon TCAD stack, and most recently CACE for analog characterization, plus the smaller glue tools around them. There's a metaport, eda-icall, that pulls the whole sky130 toolchain in one command.

It coexists with stock MacPorts instead of fighting it; where I need a pinned version that would collide, it installs into a private prefix. Every source tarball is checksummed and archived locally, because upstream URLs rot. And when a build fails, the ports point you at a GitHub issue on my repo instead of the MacPorts maintainers, since these aren't official ports.

Once the tree's path is registered in /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf (above the rsync line), the whole toolchain is one command:

  cd macportseda
  portindex
  sudo port install eda-icall

I'm a hardware person, not a software engineer, and I'm still bad at git. This tree is maintained for one user, me, so versions are pinned on purpose and some staleness is fine. But if it's useful to you, it's all there.

No comments:

Post a Comment